- A group of eye conditions that can cause blindness.
- Treatment can help, but this condition can’t be cured.
- Requires a medical diagnosis.
- Lab tests or imaging often required.
- With all types of glaucoma, the nerve connecting the eye to the brain is damaged, usually due to high eye pressure.
- The most common type of glaucoma (open-angle glaucoma) often has no symptoms other than slow vision loss. Angle-closure glaucoma, although rare, is a medical emergency and its symptoms include eye pain with nausea and sudden visual disturbance.
- Treatment includes eye drops, medication and surgery.
Consult a doctor for medical advice. Sources: Mayo Clinic and others.